Should You Pay More to Park Downtown?

Closeup of a parking meterThe City of Austin is considering extending parking-meter hours in the downtown area. This would create more turnover of parking spaces and increase revenue but is is the best option? Let the city know what you think by taking their survey.  You can also read the background and research on the issue at the city’s website.

15 Responses to “Should You Pay More to Park Downtown?”

1. DaveBNH (1 comments.) says:

It’s one way to reduce congestion. But I’m rarely a fan of raising revenue for the city by nickel and diming people.

2. Deborah Silverstein (3 comments.) says:

Great article . There are always charging us more to park in my hometown Santa Monica

3. Alex Rogers (1 comments.) says:

This same issue is being discussed by our city council. Duluth has a much smaller downtown area, but our roads are terrible, so if the profits were to go to there, I would be for it.

4. Scott Realty Team (1 comments.) says:

It’s a tough issue, that definitely need a solution… not exactly sure it should be paying more.

5. Danny (1 comments.) says:

I think that most people would disagree with that option, even though it appears easy and simple. Almost painless if you will. I would like to see what more people think of that in depth.

6. Veronica Cervera@downtown miami condominiums says:

In my opinion, i think it’s best since it would make more available spaces on street parking. I know it’s a sensitive issue but i’m just stating my opinion.

7. Brad Miller (1 comments.) says:

To have a thriving downtown is a good thing. I can never understand government doing things that might impact that. We have the same situation here in Bend Oregon.

8. Chad Tornabeni (1 comments.) says:

Parking fees are always a major topic of discussion and not sure there is a right or wrong answer. I know parking fees can bring some much needed income to cities especially in these slow times but also know that here in Scottsdale we have free parking throughout downtown Scottsdale and think in a way it makes it more desirable as people can easily get down here and park and spend their money in the stores.

9. Braxton Beyer (24 comments.) says:

@Chad, Downtown Ft. Worth is the same way. They provide several garages that are free of charge and it is much nicer and easy.

10. Orlando (2 comments.) says:

Greed is the cause of most of this type of activity. Jack up the ticket costs and meter fees, pad their pockets….etc..

11. Bellevue Condos (1 comments.) says:

Walking is preferred by me anyways, so I could realistically park anywhere.

12. Forest Hill Real Estate(new comment) says:

I agree with DaveBNH, The city shouldn’t be nickel and diming people. It’s ridiculous

13. Flats for sale in hyderabad(new comment) says:

Its a great article and the parking fee had been increased drastically these days.Anyways this is a serious issue and it should be resolved soon.

14. Josh Malone(new comment) says:

Raising fees such as these can indirectly cause the city to inadvertently loose some income by making it less desirable and potentially decrease both residential and commercial building permits.

15. Kolte Patil(new comment) says:

When it comes to best properties in Pune, the number of property builders and their current and upcoming projects is simply overwhelming.Here
    Kolte Patil